Orange County Domestic Partnership Attorney
Thanks to progressive movements in California and throughout the United States, same-gender couples have the opportunity to experience the same rights and benefits as traditional couples. At Wilkinson & Finkbeiner, we are proud to offer legal assistance in all matters related to Orange County domestic partnerships.
Domestic Partnerships in Orange County
Domestic partnerships have not always existed in Orange County. They began in the early 1980s in the city of Berkeley and later in the state of Vermont, when gay and lesbian activists started pushing for equal recognition and rights. In 1997, Hawaii became the first state to extend benefits to same-sex couples throughout the state. Currently, many states including California offer same-sex domestic partnership benefits to registered couples.
Benefits of Domestic Partnerships
Domestic partnerships provide a number of economic and noneconomic benefits comparable to those that married couples have received for decades. In Orange County, these benefits are regulated by the state. Benefits can be granted and removed at the discretion of the courts. Some of the typical benefits include:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Death benefits.
- Work leave related to sickness and bereavement.
- Parental leave.
- Life and accident insurance.
- Tuition reduction and housing rights at universities.
- And more.
What the Courts Consider
When reviewing a partnership, the courts take a number of factors into consideration. Some of the basic requirements call for the partners to be unmarried, sharing a common residence, not related by blood, capable of consenting, and of the same gender.
Legal Assistance Domestic Partnership Attorneys Can Provide
Much like a traditional marriage or partnership, there is often need for legal assistance to properly navigate the processes involved.
- Registering. Domestic partnerships are required to be registered with the court to be legal and binding. This isn’t the most difficult process, but you will need legal assistance to ensure the process is done correctly. A haphazard registration process will result in unnecessary delays and denials.
- Drafting. Much like a traditional marriage has pre and post nuptial agreements, domestic partnerships often require similar documentation to ensure the rights of each partner are obeyed and respected. These agreements require a specific form and language to be binding. An attorney can easily draft an accurate agreement.
- Dissolution. Sadly, not all domestic partnerships end the way they start: happy and blissful. There is often a need for dissolution or legal separation. Whether contested or uncontested, it’s a good idea to have an attorney by your side. An experienced legal professional understands the process and can look out for your rights and help you through any associated issues including child custody and child support.
Different Sex Couples
While much of the attention goes to same-sex couples when discussing domestic partnerships, different-sex couples can also utilize these agreements. For those planning on sharing a residence with a member of the opposite sex for an extended period of time, it’s a smart idea to pursue domestic partnership. There are many benefits to doing so.
Wilkinson & Finkbeiner
At Wilkinson & Finkbeiner, we have a deep and thorough understanding of domestic partnership law in Orange County and the state of California. Whether you are a same-sex or different-sex couple, you may be legally afforded many of the same rights as traditional married couples. With the experience of a domestic partnership attorney, you can look into these rights and learn more about which avenues to pursue.
For additional information on domestic partnerships in Orange County, don’t hesitate to contact Wilkinson & Finkbeiner for a free and confidential case evaluation and consultation. We have a reputation for achieving results and you can reasonably expect a successful outcome in your situation. We guarantee high quality, professional, and compassionate service to each of our clients. Find out more today! We are experienced in all manners of family law issues, including divorce.